[Op.13] Update Part1

Here a new recording of part1 and 2 … I fear this is my max reachable speed with good accuracy of 60bpm with … Don’t know, how it’s possible to play even faster than this 🙂 The original speed is afaik around 70bpm, but that would mean to play the 1/32-notes not with 480, but with 560 and this is a huuuge difference 🙂

[Op.13] New recording (Bars 9-12)

Today, I recorded a 2nd take of the bars 9-12 (the hard part). It’s interesting how much difference a single day can make … The tempo is more even, but I think it’s a bit slower … It’s a bit hard to determine the real speed … My metronome was set to 175, what would mean, that 1/16 = 175bpm and 1/32 = 350. Resulting in 43.75bpm for a quarter. But measuring the count of samples from quarter to quarter gave me 45000 samples @ 44100Hz sample rate. That would be 58.80bpm. So, something is strang here … I assume, that there is somewhere a problem with playing with metronome, since the count of samples should be right here … (43.75bpm would be 60480 samples which is definitivly not the case)

I think, it’s time to focus on the last 3 bars which should be lot easier than the bars before, because it’s more or less the same as bars 6-8 (the hand-crossing part).

[Op.13] Simplification

In Bar 10 of Schumann’s piece, there is a small part in Bar 10, in which the left hand has to play 1/32-notes E3, C#4, D#4, E4. Unfortunately, my hand is not large enough to be able to play this 4 notes without jumping from E3 to C#4. The problem is, that the notes have to be played evenly @ 560bpm (1/4-note @ 70bpm). Jumping results in a small additional delay which is very distracting.

During learning, I realized, I could play that E4 in the middle of 2 chords with the right hand. The following chord is easy to play, so I won’t need much time to change from E4 to the following chord.

This simplification results in a different fingerset and an decreased difficulty.

Without this change, One would have to play E3, C#4, D#4, E4 with 5, 3, 2, 1. The D#4 is to too far aways from E3, so one would have to had jump. This is now changed, because E4 is played with the right hand. This results in a changed fingerset to: 5, 2, 1, 1 (right hand). Nice, that the chord in the left hand is a E4, C#5, E5 chord, so there is no additional effort necessary to play E4 a bit later 🙂

Coincidence?

There is in Bar 11 a similar situation with a G4 and a chord G4 C#5 E5 G5, but I experienced, that it is already very difficult to get the chord in time and the following chord G5 C#6 E6 G6 as well. Morover, the hand is large enough for not having to have to jump.

[Op.13] Hard part learned …

I finally got it learned … What seemed impossible again – concerning the mix of complexity and speed – turned out to be playable again. I’ve been working on this part for 7 days … It’s strange … 7 days seem to be a magical border for learning new stuff – at least for me. It always needs 7 days to learn something good enough to do a record from it … Of course, mastering needs a lot longer …

My experience on this part is, I must think ahead to the next chord after playing a chord and while playing the 1/32-notes. Otherwise I don’t get the chords done in time and suddenly has to stop, because I don’t know what to play next. Strangly, my cerebbelum doesn’t know either, yet 😉 It still needs lots of brain power and I hope this will improve … After about 3-4 tries in this speed the quality decreases rapidly and I need a break for about 1-2 minutes …

The speed is about 60bpm, which will probably be my final recording speed … I hope to get a bit faster in order to reach better accuracity when playing with this speed …

[Op.13] Progress

Today, I recorded the first sheet. It’s really difficult to evenly play the 1/32 notes. The speed is not too bad, but I fear, I won’t be able to play the 2nd sheet in the same speed, thus resulting in an overall slower speed. There were attempts playing the fast notes with crossed hands in the 2nd sheet, but then the accords (consisting of 3 to 4 notes) would have to be played with the left hand and this seems to be very difficult as well. I think I’ll stop practicing the first sheet and concentrate on the 2nd now.

One further thing I’m not sure about is the correct padelling. The recording was done without padelling (that means padel was pressed the whole time). This seems not to be very distracting, but the last part gets very blurry, so I’ll have to padel at least in the very last part.

Schumann Symphonic Etude Op.13

My next piece will be an increbidbly fast piece, written by Schumann. It’s the first Variation on Schumann’s Symponic Etudes Op. 13. I choose this, because a friend learned it about one year ago and encouraged me to finally learn a fast piece and not always slow ones. So, I finally begun learning this and it is really really fast. The base tempo is about 70bpm for quarter notes and one have to continuosly play 1/32-notes all over the entire piece. In the first half the 1/32-notes are in the right hand, the 2nd half in the left.

Moreover, the difficulty was not only the speed, but parts in this piece which seemed impossible to play fluently in this speed. A friend told me, I would have to cross my hands to play a key of the right hand with the left which plays slow chords (consisting of quarter notes). Although, I already got the hint of having to cross my hands, I asked Paul Barton for help, because there were more parts, I couldn’t imagine to be playable in a normal way. He was very kind to answer me my questions in a video message 🙂

I’ve been practicing this piece for about 2 weeks now, but I was 5 days in holiday … It doesn’t seem to be impossible, but I’m not sure if I will be able to play it in this speed …